Thursday, October 23, 2008
Wednesday, October 22, 2008
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
I am excited to share that I was about to get an interview with Tigerlily from Glam God on VH1...check out what she has to say as one of the final 3 competing to win the title as Glam God...I used some of the questions from readers and some of my own. She is an inspiring fashionista that has much more to share than favorite colors and styles so, be encouraged.
1) Were the Glam God judges harder on you because you are also a fashion designer?
- Within minutes of meeting the judges I felt they expected a high level of expertise from me. This was only further escalated after winning the first challenge.
2) Who and what are your inspirations?
- I grew up between London and Cayman Islands and literally have been around the world and back, so world travel really inspires me. Also, fashion icons like Bianca Jagger, Grace Jones and Kate Moss are my favorites. I met Kate whilst on holiday at a resort, in Oracabessa, Jamaica and for those three days I witnessed first hand the height of simplicity and luxury. I’m also obsessed with the lives of Yves Saint Laurent, Gabrielle Coco Chanel and Edith Head. They all fascinate me!
3) What are your must-haves in your style kit?
- My “kit” is quite elaborate and whether doing red carpet, editorial or film I am never without all the products from Hollywood Fashion Tape. I also don’t leave home without a lint remover, safety pins, black sharpie, bleach pen, scissors, Band-Aids, heel pads, mini hand steamer, undies (nude colours), hair essentials and perfume.
4) Where did you go to school?
- I have a Business degree from American University and I also went to fashion school at Central Saint Martins in the UK.
5) Are there any items in your closet that you'll never throw away?
- Jeans, I have so many pairs in different styles (some date back to the’70’s..thanks to my mother). I also inherited a few YSL and Halston pieces that I would never let go.
6) Out of all the celebs that wear Crown who is your favorite person?
Honestly, I love all the cool girls that wear my label. It’s always an honor to see how people style Crown Atelier! Keira Knightley was the first person to wear our blouse.
7) How did you start in fashion? What came first..your line or wardrobe styling?
- I knew from the beginning of my life that I wanted a career in Fashion! My lucky break came when a music video director who knew I was an aspiring designer asked me to send my samples for his shoot. He used every piece I sent and that music video ended up in heavy rotation on MTV. After that it was a natural progression for me into wardrobe styling. First came music videos, which was a dream because I love music so much.
8) What are your favorite fashion related shows?
- My favorite fashion film is Unzipped with Isaac Mizrahi. I adore Isaac! Also, for my birthday, my best-friend gave me a bunch of fashion documentaries on DVD featuring all my favorite designers: Balenciaga, Chanel, Dior and YSL.
9) Where do you see yourself and your brand in 5 years?
- I plan to dedicate more time to Crown Atelier in 2009. In five years the line will be absolutely established and completely global.
10) What do you think will be the next big trend this fall and following in spring 09'?
- Luxury Bohemian, Shoes from Nicholas Kirkwood and menswear loafers on women
11) Where are your favorite places to shop online and boutiques?
- The Way We Wore (Los Angeles), Decades (Los Angeles), Vintage dealers Steinberg & Tolkien (London), Netaporter.com and Topshop.
12) What is your favorite magazine, why?
- British Vogue, it was my first.
13) How would you describe your style?
- Fashion-forward and flirty. For my personal style I am very much less focused on trends and I really try and appreciate each garment on its own worth, not on whether it’s ‘in’ right now, or the name of the label. Out of habit, I know all of the world’s best vintage stores so when I’m not in Crown Atelier I usually turn to vintage!
My recommendation for anyone who want to cultivate a special style is the following:
- Have interests outside of fashion (music, art, theatre, travel etc.)
- Always surround yourself with other creative people
- Research iconic fashionistas
- Never limit yourself (try on all styles)! This will take you away from predictable thinking
- Never conform to what people think you should be,
- but venture out and go the other way, mix things that normally shouldn’t go together
- Appreciate clothes on its own value, not because it’s fashionable now.
- Be open
Tuesday, October 14, 2008
Saks has the Want-It, Must-Have cosmetic package right now (BTW, the bag is done by yours truly Marc Jacobs!)...I wrote about it before, but, I just think I should remind everyone...Get a polished look with this complete piece of chic in a bag from Saks. I not only love all of the product in the bag, but I would soo use the Marc Jacobs leather make up bag all the time! Get there soon, they started this promo in September...they go fast, I promise!
Layer by Fashionalities
The signature item for fall is a parka...(well, and a trench)but, for this blog, it's all about the parka...it's the jacket to use to replace a sweat shirt...it makes a little dress a little more dressed down and rugged. I love the look! I also love the parka with a riding pant and t-shirt...it gives every look a bit of a casual edge. Pair the parka with a black tank or sweater dress by Charlotte Ronson or a designer that has the casual chic down. The Roger Vivier bag really highlights the zing of the parka detail. It's a great way to make the piece come together.
- Buy items on different cards, or half with cash and half with card.
- Take out $5-20 every time you go grocery shopping and build up for what you want to buy...then, he'll never know.
- Hide bags of the items you buy in the car until he won't remember and you can bring it in without the evidence.
- I sell items at Buffalo if I really HAVE TO HAVE something...but, that's not that bad.
- Use as many coupons as you can when grocery shopping and then, take the amount you saved to put towards what you love...bad, I know...but, looks good on paper:)
- Holidays are quickly approaching...when you receive gift cards for holidays, birthdays, etc. and you don't really shop at the location you received it for...trade or sale gift cards on Card Avenue.
Sunday, October 12, 2008
Buy $100 worth of beauty or fragrance items and receive a fab GWP from the store...this is so worth it! I L-O-V-E the train case that you receive! Check out Nordstrom today while supplies still last, you can receive this GWP online or in stores.
I am soo excited! There is finally going to be a Sephora in Tucson! It is about time...but, also, a great time to celebrate the companies 10th year anniversary. This is the BEST place to shop for cosmetics---they have EVERYTHING! Speaking of, try the new must-have to carry in your purse, the Bare Essentials, Bare Minerals carry powder. I can't wait to get this!
Boho Magazine is a new magazine on the scene all about styling in green, conscious clothing. I haven't seen the magazine in person yet...but, I have checked out the site and had to share because it is really worth checking out. Also, there is a contest, which, I have of course tried out and I think all of you should as well....to see what your green style is like... good luck!
Have you ever had to do a double take after you spot something you see someone wearing and as you pass they tell you where they bought it and it makes your eyes POP!? Well, yesterday I saw this dress that looked Pucci-esque so I asked where the lady purchased the frock and she responded with Forever and I did a double take and a jaw drop in surprise. So, of course I had to share the look with you and let you know that I heard that the Forever site is now offering "looks" to purchase from like what you see on the mannequin in the store...a fun way to get inspired by the styling of the Forever Online Associates:)
I rushed in to check out the handbags by Anya Hindmarch and I am soo excited about the designs! I have to be honest that none of the past designer handbags have caught my eye enough to buy them at full price, but, these have definitely done the trick...they are the size that you expect and since they are patent leather, they don't look cheap. Rush in to get these before they sell out, I am really doubting that there will be any left to buy on clearance...
I was sooo excited when I read on Daily Sugar (kind of like Daily Candy---Has anyone noticed changes to the emails since Comcast took over???) that Gucci was having a sale on their site...now, even though I can't afford anything Gucci right now:), it is still exciting (and I guess a little scary as well that designers like Gucci are having this BIG of a sale on their site) to see a designer like Gucci having a sale and on good pieces...so check it out.
It's that point that I think people should start thinking about Christmas gifts...I know most wait till after Thanksgiving...but, with the way that the economy is looking I think it would be best to consider to start looking know for great sales or items that are already a great price. I just found an AMAZING piece that I am in LOVE with! I saw a girl wearing a delicate pearl necklace layered with a couple of other necklaces...when I asked where she got it, it came with an entire story of how she received it from her mom (she was in college) and that it was called, Pearls of Love. I love the idea and the price point varies from $24-$50 depending on the type of chain that you get...but, each gets a great message that is perfect for the holidays!
Yesterday, I saw a fashionista friend wearing a dress that seemed to hit her body perfect and I was like I need that! It was simple--like a racer back tank, but paired with her Missoni scarf and fab jacket it was perfect! I decided that I needed to have it...When she told me that the dress was from American Apparel my jaw dropped. Not that I didn't think the store had anything fab...but, it just looked perfectly understated. And for $26 how can you say no!? Plus, of course...while I was surfing the site for the dress to confirm the price, I found a couple of other dresses that I had to share with you all:) I think this is a great option for buying people Christmas gifts...the prices are perfect and who doesn't need something cotton in their wardrobe that is made in the U.S.?:)I love the color of this...purple is the color for fall you know...and it looks so vintage, right...Basic, but sleek...I wonder if this is too short though....I can't do too high above the knee:)I can't decide if this looks too much like I am about to go ice skating, or if I am dressed up for Halloween, but, I still love this look!
Monday, October 06, 2008
- Steve Madden!! But, sadly, I just looked it up and they are from 2007:( Sorry all for sharing something that is old...
- Check it out! I will see if I can find something similar out there....
Sunday, October 05, 2008
A fashion friend said that my look the other day reminded her of Proenza Schouler..since I was so honored by the comparison, I had to share it with you all of course:) Sorry, using my iPhone camera at work to capture the look:) This is Stems by the way:) Remember to check the blogs out there as well, yours truly does them:)
It is soo worth it! I started to shriek when I finally (I used to work at Corporate Saks) stepped into the shoe salon at Saks that I knew about the development of the new and improved shoe section years ago...It was breathtaking:) And to celebrate, I wanted to share a pic of me years ago in New York at the Sex and the City shoe locale that Carrie used to frequent.
I saw the Net-A-Porter Belt Story on the homepage and decided that I needed some fantastic belts with great clasp details on the front...well, as luck would have it, I went to a fundraising event and found just the thing for only $2! Check it out, isn't it just grand:)
Ok, so, I know that the whole discussion of all female political figures fashion is very controversial...but, how can I ignore it? I have to share a couple of my favorites:
I truly recommend that everyone every once in a while check out the Ecko site...they have a quite surprising amount of cute items...I have also heard that Macy's carries the line and has cute items...the only bad part is that they put the logo on the clothes...yuck...but, oh well...the price is usually discounted, so that makes it a little better:)
I was finally starting on my surfing through Spring 2009 runway images and my first was for Chloe...I love the nude color palette and I AM IN LOVE with the pant style which is very similar to the India styling pant...I need, want, have to have a pair of these:) And, I am excited to share that I have a similar pair of the shorts from the runway that are now on sale at Urban Outfitters for only $9.99! Worth checking out and getting right now...
I couldn't find the dresses I saw for Isaac Mizrahi, but I thought the below items were too darling to not include...and they have the same feeling as Lorick.
I have been dreaming of a Lorick piece for what seems like forever...ok, I guess it hasn't been that long since it is a new line...but, I made myself finally go to Target last night to snoop around (it has been forever since I have been...the one nearest to me is really, really far away:). Well, am I glad that I did! The recent Go International line that isn't even done by a BIG designer is very similar to the stylings of my coveted Lorick as well as a couple of Isaac Mizrahi pieces...another couple of fun things to note, Revolve Clothing has a couple of really cool fall trend notes that were done by the costume designer of Gossip Girl, and the Lorick New York site has been revamped, and I LOVE the new look!